Sunday, February 12, 2006

What can I give you thee?

Today morning I woke up with memories of an amazing dream. Well, since I let a few minutes pass after I woke up, I am not very clear about some parts. But nevertheless here it is, some thoughts collected from those wisps of groggy morning thinking -
It was my parents birthday and there was this birthday card for them that my brother or sister had selected. The card had a part that read like this(from parent to the child) -

"What can I give you thee?
When I die, where will you bury me?
Take me the field and bury me where the farmer ploughs.
so that I can continue to nourish you oh my child."

The thought was so strong that I woke up with a start and immediately called home. I do not remember having read this beautiful thought anywhere before, so how did it come to me in my dream? But it really touched me and made me think about a parents perspective.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It made you think of your parents' perspective, but it has made me think of *your* perspective!

Though, you may regard such a feeling of service/care as something positive, there is an alternative viewpoint too. We should try to get rid of the worldly attachments. If not during lifetime, then at least after death we should forget about the world. But the soul is so intimately bound to this world that it can think of nothing else.

Anyway, it was just a dream.

Keeping dreaming. Luck favors those who dare to dream:)

--Pandey.

Nirav Mehta said...

Pandey,

Interesting thought. I agree with your idea of getting rid of worldly attachments but I regard lifetime and death as equal times. I don't see as death providing a stronger reason to rid oneself of these attachments. This maybe somewhat tangential to the topic but just the same these are some thoughts that came to me.