Sunday, May 27, 2007

Can't leave India behind!

When I left for Bulgaria and as I started coming closer to the last segment of my journey to Sofia, I started believing that for once in 4 years I will be in a place where there really are no Indians, and it will really feel like I am one of the first to come to that country.
This feeling started getting strengthened at Frankfurt airport. I saw Indians of all sizes and colors all over the airport, at nearly every gate, in flights going to all places around the world. I was awed by the sheer numbers, but in my mind I was convinced that Sofia is probably one place where there probably is no Indian going to. While in the line for getting on board the bus that would take us to our plane I looked around and could see all seemingly Bulgarian people around me. Good, no one to make me feel non-unique. I got on the bus and was about to gloat over my achievement, when alas there comes an Indian couple. Not the tourist kinds, but the kind that seemed to have the husband coming to a foreign country for a project and the devoted wife in traditional Indian salwar kameez following the husband around. But I did not care, I was dejected by the destruction to my uniqueness in that bus and more importantly in the country I was heading too.
As if this was not enough, read on for what further transpired in the bus. Right across me on the other side of the bus there was a young Bulgarian sitting across a middle-aged Caucasian lady who was probably from the US. As the bus was still relatively empty I could easily hear their conversation. It went something like this -

Lady - "Are you from Bulgaria?"
Boy - "Yes. Are you visiting Bulgaria?"
Lady - "Yes I am. So have you lived in Bulgaria all your life?"
Boy - "No. I was in Turkey for a couple of years for my education. And then in India for a few months for traineeship." (At this point my interest was aroused :) and I listened keenly for the rest of their conversation.)
Lady - "So where in India did you go?"
Boy -"Kolkata."
Lady - (Not able to understand) "Where is it?"
Boy - "Its on the east coast of India, close to Bangladesh."
Lady - "So is it in Bangladesh?"
Boy - "No... It is close to Bangladesh but in India, in a part of India called Bengal. Though people in Bangladesh also speak Bangali."

The conversation then moved on to what the lady was planning to do in Bulgaria etc. As I said before, at a place where I had expected to be away from India and everything Indian (not in any bad sense, obviously like most I am proud of who I am and where I am from) for a few days. But I realized that its not going to be that easy to achieve this, already before boarding the flight to Sofia I had encountered two connections to India.
You probably need to go somewhere much more remote to actually realize this goal. In fact recently I heard that at many tourist spots in Switzerland, the local guides talk to you in English, German and yes you guessed it - Hindi!
Jai Hind!

1 comment:

Rakesh Mehta said...

hey nirav...

surprised ehh ?? newez .. i was actually meanin to visit your blog since sch a long time but i guess it was destined for 2day ... & dude!! u jst rock ...

i really cudnt get my eyes off the various articles out here ... i knew u've always been an expert at writing ... but after reading evrythin published here i mst say u have actually grown into a professional...

keep up the good work ... it makes us proud ..

(& yaa i ve taken the efforts to read each & evry word of urs ... so u better lemme knw wen u ve done reading this comment... haha)

rakesh.